Tuesday, December 10, 2013


Chewy cooked wheat berries, more than baking breads


    I was lucky enough to come across 150 lbs of these wheat berries through a trade.  I thought now what can I do with these things??  Can I feed this staple to my ducks, geese, chickens, goats, and/or dogs?  Can I eat this?  Well, with these questions in mind; I hit the web.  I looked up lots of different ways to cook these.  Out of all the ways I found to cook them I decided to just go with my gut.  I used 1 cup of wheat berries to 2 cups of water.  I started cooking em' just like you do grits.  I put them on the stove to cook, brought them to a boil and then brought it down to a slow boil (adding water when needed).  I cooked them for 90 minutes. 

    At this point, I had no idea what to expect.  Would they be mushy, crunchy, turn out like cream of wheat, or what.  After 90 minutes I tasted them, and I thought they were a little bland--yet chewy.  The kids said they tasted like fresh raw, chewy corn. 


    These berries can also be thrown on top of a wetted down  cardboard box and newspapers and you will get green grass blades in a day or so.  Fresh greens to eat!!  The box and paper don't sound so tasty, but in hard times this is the least of my worries.  Like water bottles with BPA --who cares.  Thank God I have a container to put water in. 

    What I am trying to stress is I got this wheat for the yard animals and then I decided to find out what else I can do with it.  So, I experimented.  I liked the end results, and I learned you can use them almost anywhere in the kitchen and yard.  Not to mention, a person can grind them up and make bread. 

    Hunger makes good gravy, and gravy with wheat berries fills a tummy more full.  If you have any ideas or recipes please share.   I would like to share this one website that has very valuable information about these wheat berries:  Cooking Lessons From the Kitchen  I hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment